Ask Cael: Nebraska will enter the Big 10 next year. Does that improve Big 10 wrestling? Why or why not? Thanks.Story Published Wednesday, August 25th, 2010
question:¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Nebraska will enter the Big 10 next year.¬† Does that improve Big 10 wrestling?¬† Why or why not?¬† Thanks.
Hello Mark, ¬†Nebraska is a very good team.¬† There addition to the conference just adds one more of the nation’s top teams to an already tough conference.¬† Adding one more team shouldn’t make too much of a difference.¬† My main concern with Nebraska joining the Big 10 didn’t have anything to do with the Big 10, my concern was where that would leave the Big 12.¬† With only 5 teams with wrestling, and now dropping to four that is kind of scary.¬† I don’t know how that will be addressed, but it certainly isn’t good for Big 12 Wrestling.¬† The Big 10 would be fine either way.¬† At one time I was hearing that Missouri and Nebraska would be joining the Big 10.¬† I’m glad that didn’t happen because it would have probably been the end of Big 12 Wrestling and that would be a terrible thing.¬† As far as the Big 10 goes, the only concern with adding more teams to an already large conference tournament is that it just adds to the wear and tear of our conference’s student-athletes a week and a half before the NCAA tournament.¬† That’s the only negative that I can potentially see.¬† ¬†The conference tournament is important and everyone takes a lot of pride in trying to be the best team but ultimately, everyone’s goal should be to win the NCAA championship.
Latest Questions in the Ask Cael Archive- question: Do you think starting wrestling at a young age is helpful/important?
- I have been a head coach for only 2 years, so I cannot expect overnight success but This school has so much potential. Please help me with pointers on this problem.
- A kid that I wrestle in practice won’t let me tie up with him. I beat him but how do i get a hold on him when he always circles out when I try to tie up with him.
- Everyone around here almost automatically defers when they win the choice to start the second period. I believe that is counter-productive and want my boys to take bottom every time.
- I have two boys who love to wrestle, what do you think is the best way to bring them up the ranks, without “burning them out?” And what would be some good motivational ideas?
- I have watched videos of you in college where you put your head to the mat. Are you gaining an advantage by using your head on the mat?
- Can you explain why college wrestlers defense is so different?
- What is your philosophy regarding Team v. Individual in the sport of wrestling and how do you communicate this philosophy?
- What causes passivity? How can we overcome it?
- I graduated 2 years ago and recently got a coaching job coaching my old middle school team. What is some advice you could give me to help me get moves across to my team without skipping important details?
Check Out Doug Seus!