Ask Cael: Hey Cael I’m from Wasatch I’ve been wrestling for 1 year and I took third at state but I think I could get better can you give me a few tips?Story Published Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009
Question: Hey Cael I’m from Wasatch I’ve been wrestling for 1 year and I took third at state but I think I could get better can you give me a few tips? Thanks Cael
Hey Jordan, That is awesome to place third your first year, congratulations! It’s difficult to give specific tips without being around you every day and knowing more so I’ll give you some general but very important tips. First, work hard buddy. There is no way to reach your potential without hard work. enjoy the hard work, and enjoy the challenges. Remember these are your goals and only you can do what it takes for you to be successful. Second, listen to your coaches. Allow people to help you. Learn from other peoples successes and failures. Three, Believe in yourself. two keys to believe in yourself are to know that the goal is to do your very best. Know that and focus on that. and the second key is to be prepared. that’s where the discipline, hard work, listening to your coaches, sacrifices and everything else come into play. It doesn’t matter what you’re doing, you won’t believe in yourself if you are not prepared. You can’t fool yourself. know that you deserve to win. pay the price. Fourth, live the lifestyle of a champion. that means have a positive outlook on life. a great attitude is more powerful then anything. Surround yourself with friends that also have high goals. Eat and drink like a champion. take care of yourself. be consistent in all things, and do your best. do your best in school, wrestling, practice, the beginning of practice and the end of practice, at home, at your friends house, every where and at times live the life of a champion.
Latest Questions in the Ask Cael Archive- question: Do you think starting wrestling at a young age is helpful/important?
- I have been a head coach for only 2 years, so I cannot expect overnight success but This school has so much potential. Please help me with pointers on this problem.
- A kid that I wrestle in practice won’t let me tie up with him. I beat him but how do i get a hold on him when he always circles out when I try to tie up with him.
- Everyone around here almost automatically defers when they win the choice to start the second period. I believe that is counter-productive and want my boys to take bottom every time.
- I have two boys who love to wrestle, what do you think is the best way to bring them up the ranks, without “burning them out?” And what would be some good motivational ideas?
- I have watched videos of you in college where you put your head to the mat. Are you gaining an advantage by using your head on the mat?
- Can you explain why college wrestlers defense is so different?
- What is your philosophy regarding Team v. Individual in the sport of wrestling and how do you communicate this philosophy?
- What causes passivity? How can we overcome it?
- I graduated 2 years ago and recently got a coaching job coaching my old middle school team. What is some advice you could give me to help me get moves across to my team without skipping important details?
Check Out Doug Seus!