Ask Cael: August 23rd, 2008Story Published Monday, September 15th, 2008
Jeff from Terre Haute, IN: I was concerned when I saw that you wouldn’t be competing in the Olympics this year. You’re the best wrestler I’ve witnessed in my lifetime and the best of our era. I was just wondering why you decided against doing so?
I appreciate the email. I was strongly considering competing this year but my commitment was to my responsibilities with the Iowa State wrestling program. When I took my dream job of head coach at Iowa State I knew I was choosing and accepting that I wouldn’t compete again myself. I know I didn’t wrestle freestyle long enough to ever compete at my greatest potential level and that sort of bothers me. But my goal was always to win a gold medal and after I did that I wanted to do what was best for my family which I feel was to coach. I absolutely love coaching at Iowa State. I considered doing both this year but I quickly learned that I couldn’t give both 100% and that was unacceptable. It felt a little weird following the Olympics this year knowing that physically I could still be competing, but I am at peace with the decision that I have made. I really appreciate your support.
Latest Questions in the Ask Cael Archive- question: Do you think starting wrestling at a young age is helpful/important?
- I have been a head coach for only 2 years, so I cannot expect overnight success but This school has so much potential. Please help me with pointers on this problem.
- A kid that I wrestle in practice won’t let me tie up with him. I beat him but how do i get a hold on him when he always circles out when I try to tie up with him.
- Everyone around here almost automatically defers when they win the choice to start the second period. I believe that is counter-productive and want my boys to take bottom every time.
- I have two boys who love to wrestle, what do you think is the best way to bring them up the ranks, without “burning them out?” And what would be some good motivational ideas?
- I have watched videos of you in college where you put your head to the mat. Are you gaining an advantage by using your head on the mat?
- Can you explain why college wrestlers defense is so different?
- What is your philosophy regarding Team v. Individual in the sport of wrestling and how do you communicate this philosophy?
- What causes passivity? How can we overcome it?
- I graduated 2 years ago and recently got a coaching job coaching my old middle school team. What is some advice you could give me to help me get moves across to my team without skipping important details?
Check Out Doug Seus!