Ask Cael: A kid that I wrestle in practice won’t let me tie up with him. I beat him but how do i get a hold on him when he always circles out when I try to tie up with him.Story Published Friday, January 14th, 2011
question:¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† A kid that I wrestle in practice won’t let me tie up with him. I beat him but how do i get a hold on him when he always circles out when I try to tie up with him.
Stalk him.¬† As he retreats out of your tie ups you stay right with him.¬† Take small steps.¬† If he keeps backing up he will quickly be off the mat.¬† After you push him off the mat a few times the referee should get involved and warn the wrestler with stalling and eventually points.¬†
When you get to tie ups do a lot of the work with your feet.¬† Sort of like dancing.¬† He takes two steps back, you take two forward.¬† Actually you would probably take 5-6 small steps to his 2 fleeing steps.¬† You’ll be in better position.¬† If he is blocking you off and planting a back leg to drive off of, snap him to the side of his back leg.¬† That’s going to force a huge step and keep him off balance.¬†
¬†Ultimately you just have to be determined and keep moving forward.¬† Don’t get frustrated.¬† Keep trying new things and getting better at what you already do.¬† The way to learn what to do is to get in that position and keep plugging away.¬† People that wrestle hard in real matches, wrestle hard in practice.¬† People that control the tie up in matches, control the tie up in practice.¬† You figure things out in practice.¬† Don’t worry about making mistakes or giving up a takedown in practice.¬† Attack your agenda relentlessly and you will eventually figure it out.
Latest Questions in the Ask Cael Archive- question: Do you think starting wrestling at a young age is helpful/important?
- I have been a head coach for only 2 years, so I cannot expect overnight success but This school has so much potential. Please help me with pointers on this problem.
- A kid that I wrestle in practice won’t let me tie up with him. I beat him but how do i get a hold on him when he always circles out when I try to tie up with him.
- Everyone around here almost automatically defers when they win the choice to start the second period. I believe that is counter-productive and want my boys to take bottom every time.
- I have two boys who love to wrestle, what do you think is the best way to bring them up the ranks, without “burning them out?” And what would be some good motivational ideas?
- I have watched videos of you in college where you put your head to the mat. Are you gaining an advantage by using your head on the mat?
- Can you explain why college wrestlers defense is so different?
- What is your philosophy regarding Team v. Individual in the sport of wrestling and how do you communicate this philosophy?
- What causes passivity? How can we overcome it?
- I graduated 2 years ago and recently got a coaching job coaching my old middle school team. What is some advice you could give me to help me get moves across to my team without skipping important details?
Check Out Doug Seus!
For Strength and Conditioning ideas,
check out CrossFit!